As a talent acquisition agency with an office in the heart of Berlin that works closely with Berlin-based companies, we wanted to share our observations on the technology industry in Germany, state of IT in Berlin, and talent market in the digital sector.
Here is our 2017 summary.
THE ATTRACTIVENESS OF BERLIN IN 2017
- In contrast to other German and big European tech hubs, the prices in Berlin are still affordable.
- There is a thriving tech scene with new companies being founded, and investments flowing in (with 2018 set to be another record year).
- Berlin hosts large tech events. This year we had a chance to attend TOA Berlin and TC Disrupt Berlin, which were both huge.
- It is still hard to compete with tech hubs like London, but to many founders, Berlin has become more attractive, especially since mid-2016 when Brexit became a reality.
INDUSTRIES HIRING FOR IT IN BERLIN (TECH SECTOR)
In the tech sector, we’ve seen an increased demand from SaaS, B2B, and Fintech industries. However, these are closely followed by Machine Learning and AI-focused businesses.
TECHNOLOGIES THAT ATTRACT CANDIDATES
It always depends on individual preferences and experience, as well as on the existing demand. On the backend spectrum, among the most popular programming languages were:
For frontend developers, the following technologies were in demand:
THE SCARCITY OF CANDIDATES
There are certainly more jobs and not enough extraordinary candidates to fill the positions. We expect that this discrepancy will continue, resulting in the further development of the international tech community in Berlin.
THE MOST WANTED TECH CANDIDATES IN TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY IN GERMANY
To name a few, these would be experts in:
- Data Engineering
In regard to technologies, we could add to this list Scala, Go, and Kubernetes, which have seen a big jump in interest this year.
RELOCATING CANDIDATES TO BERLIN
Berlin’s tech scene is thriving, and the demand grows, which results in the need for relocated candidates. So, if a company wants to grow its tech team in Berlin, it is now impossible to do so on a sustainable level without taking relocation as a serious option. We love this fact as it increases the already cosmopolitan feel of the city.
HOW LIKELY ARE CANDIDATES TO WORK WITH RECRUITERS?
Candidates are likely to work with those recruiters who provide a true insight into the companies they work with and have a deep understanding of the market. Such a recruiter will help the candidate find the desired position sooner, significantly improve their reach into the market, and set up smooth communication with potential employers.
DURATION OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS IN BERLIN
In 2017, the recruitment process was expected to last 3-8 weeks. However, the tendency is for the process to be shorter in 2018.
WHEN IS THE BUSIEST HIRING SEASON?
Earlier, it used to be after the big holidays like Christmas. Now, it is always busy with companies making hiring plans a lot further in advance. January 2018 is already looking busy.
- Germany, especially Berlin still has a thriving tech scene due to affordability (compared to other big European cities)
- SaaS, Fintech, and B2B Businesses are growing
- There are fewer candidates than demand, forcing companies to relocate employees from other locations to Berlin