A Senior Director of Engineering level at our client is comparable in responsibility and salary to a StartUp CTO level elsewhere, many of their Directors are ex CTOs of StartUps.
The role of the incoming "Tribe CTO" Director of engineering will be to play a key role in the development and growth of the company. You would be expected to actively contribute to the overall company strategy, especially by deciding on technical direction and developing scalability, data analysis and automation capability while retaining a focus on user experience, R&D and order channels. You would also be the day-to-day sparring partner of top leadership and be responsible for the development of an IT strategy matching the business goals. Your role would have a strong focus on optimising product and software development processes for this core unite.
This is a fundamental role to the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Lead, support and mentor Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to be more effective leaders.
- Supervise organisational changes, support on making a team of 30 engineers grow to 60-70 during 12-18 months.
- Deeply understand the business processes and participate in defining the roadmap for core teams responsible for delivering projects across the globe.
- Possible areas of responsibility are products listing, cloud infrastructure and integrations, search and recommendation systems.
- Plan and ensure scalability of the systems.
- Scale recruitment efforts and define the criteria for sourcing talented engineers
- Drive both quarterly and long-term objectives and key results with full responsibility for executing
- Champion best engineering practices, be the solution-oriented voice showing where to invest engineering effort where it can create the most positive impact.
- Experience with managing managers or multiple teams simultaneously (min 30 engineers and 5 squads, ideally 50+ and 10+ squads)
- A past engineering background (ideally in Mobile, iOS or Android stack)
- Actively writing coding is NOT your responsibility but you need to be able to review code.
- You worked on high complexity and/or high traffic project or application,
- You have experience with building large distributed systems.
- A mindset compatible with continuous deployment, agile planning, cloud-based systems, experimentation and testing.
- Past experience with cloud deployments (AWS, Kubernetes, IaC).
- Experience with setting up processes in an engineering team.