Our client is a highly innovative and successful German B2C Platform who are on their journey of transforming a very "old school" B2C industry.
The role of the incoming CTO will be to play a key role in the development and growth of the company. You would be expected to actively contribute to the overall company strategy, especially by deciding on technical direction and developing scalability, data analysis and automation capability while retaining a focus on user experience, R&D and order channels. You would also be the day-to-day sparring partner of the CEO/founder and be responsible for the development of an Engineering strategy matching the business goals. Your role would have a strong focus on optimising product and software development processes. You will take charge of a small but senior engineering team of 15 engineers and grow it to 20+ in the next 12 months. At the same time, you will also help them to transform from a one team matrix set up to a better structured and more efficient multi-team, multi-discipline unit. They are on a solid growth trajectory of 10x demand and you will be helping them improve their platform to be able to cater to the demand.
This is a fundamental role to the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Manage the development of existing and new/future products (web, mobile and 3rd-party integrations)
- Grow the team both in numbers (15-->20+) and in efficiency / structure (single matrix unit --> multi team setup)
- Work on optimisations for the current projects and infrastructure together with the team to facilitate a 10x growth (20K orders --> 200K orders)
- Help stakeholders to grasp the scope and impact of planned features and changes
- Prioritise the scope and release strategy of new features
- Constantly improve product monitoring and alerting systems
- Increasing visibility of system health and potential issues
- You have at least 8 years of technical experience and 5 years in a management (multi-team setup, leading leaders) role - preferably in an international start-up environment
- You have worked on eCommerce or B2C Platform products before
- You understand business goals and can easily translate them into technical and actionable tasks
- You are infrastructure automation solutions (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- You are proud of creating and shipping simple and well-tested code (automation)
- You have experience using agile methodologies (Scrum / Kanban)
- You feel comfortable working by yourself and take ownership
- Fluent business and technical English (German is a plus)