We have been retained by our client, a German leading B2B FinTech Platform. They are looking to find an experienced Head of Engineering that will be reporting directly to the non-technical CEO and help take the company to the next level. They enjoy secure financial backing from their parent company, a 150+ years old German family investment group.
They are a technology-first company that runs a B2B FinTech platform, they have a strong tech team in place and require very experienced people managers to take charge of all aspects of the technology developed including software engineering, quality, infrastructure, security and compliance.
The role of the incoming Head of Engineering will be to play a key role in the development and growth of the company. You would be expected to actively contribute to the overall company strategy. You would also be the day-to-day sparring partner of top leadership. Your role would have a strong focus on optimising product and software development processes across the group.
This is a fundamental role in the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Ensuring your team has the right structure, skillset, and seniority to meet the company’s challenges.
- Mentoring and developing individual contributors and ultimately developing a leadership level within the software engineering team.
- Setting clear expectations and management processes so your teams can improve, and the team members can thrive.
- Drive a culture of collaboration, customer orientation, and sustainability.
- With product management, define the cross-functional team structure.
- Delivering at a quality standard that is expected in the financial industry.
- Defining processes to ensure that the platform remains reliable and stable.
- Ensuring the team has the support they need to release reliable software that fulfils specifications.
- Robust incident management.
- Balancing getting things out of the door today and minimising the cost of future changes.
- Enabling the transition from a legacy platform to an architecture that supports the new business strategy
- Continuing to improve continuous delivery. Ensuring your team has access to the right tools and platform.
- Ownership of the Cloud infrastructure budget and ensuring the platform is cost-effective, scalable, and performs well.
- Together with the information security advisor and compliance team, prioritizing, assessing and mitigating security and compliance risks.
- Ensuring your team is working in a secure and compliant way, including training and defining good processes.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience.
- Experience in leading agile teams of 10+ people across different technical disciplines and leadership levels (leading multiple team leads or engineering managers).
- Broad knowledge of modern professional software engineering best practices including software architecture (including microservices), development and build processes, Cloud infrastructure, CI/CD, software testing techniques.
- Ability to ask challenging questions to foster technical and architectural excellence
- You have a clear track record of having your team reliably and regularly deliver excellent software
- You see your role as enabling your team, creating structures and processes for them to shine.
- You can clearly explain highly technical concepts to non-technical managers and leaders.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: the ability to see chances and weight opportunities vs. costs
- Fluency in German and English language.
- Experience in regulated financial services is a plus.
- Java/Java Spring Boot knowledge and/or holistic SDLC/other technology stacks (Agnostic)
- AWS or other cloud experience is a must