Our client is an exciting Global Leading B2B SaaS and Analytics Platform in Berlin (1000+ employees Globally, Stock Listed, Profitable). They are looking to find an experienced Head of Engineering that will be reporting directly to the top leadership and help take the company to the next level.
They are a technology-first company that runs a Global B2B SaaS platform, they have strong tech teams in place and require a very experienced people managers to lead one of their core units (5 squads, 25 engineers to grow to 30-35 in the next 18 months) being responsible for one of the most crucial parts of their global technical operation.
The role of the incoming Head of Engineering will be to play a key role in the development and growth of the company. You would be expected to actively contribute to the overall company Software Engineering strategy, especially by deciding on technical direction and developing scalability, analysis, engineering and automation capability while retaining a focus on internal user experience, R&D and order channels. You would also be the day-to-day sparring partner of top leadership and be responsible for the development of an IT strategy matching the business goals. Your role would have a strong focus on optimising product and software development processes for this core unite.
This is a fundamental role in the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Managing 4-5 engineering teams, providing guidance, support & mentoring
- Championing modern engineering culture, collaboration, the use of best practices and ensuring the implementation of the latest technologies in an architecturally sound way
- Line management and personnel development for Lead Engineers and their teams, fostering an open feedback culture, continuous improvements and development of high-performing, multi-skilled engineering teams
- Liaising with business and technical stakeholders across the company as well as external partners
- Close coordination and cooperation with Product leadership and other Engineering centres
- Drive the hiring process for the Engineering centre and support recruitment across the wider department
- Reviewing technical approaches, facilitating technical thought leadership with support from their Architecture team to build new products, improve existing ones and help shape development best practices
- Hands-on support where needed, ranging from managing escalations, supporting the teams to meet release dates, and resolve incidents to addressing technical and interpersonal challenges
- Extensive experience in growing, leading, managing and guiding a technical team of 20+ people (including experience managing other managers)
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams including Product teams and Business stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical solutions that create user value, constantly balancing technical and business needs in a pragmatic way
- Experience in influencing and driving business and technical strategies
- Well versed with people management tasks including recruitment, personnel development, giving feedback and solving interpersonal conflicts – passionate to apply these to foster personal and professional growth in the team
- Experience with setting and delivering on goals both for yourself and your teams, KPI driven and able to prioritise to achieve outcomes
- Experience working in a fast-moving environment, dealing with ambiguity and change
- Technical background and experience with software design of performant and large scale systems that meet business needs without over-engineering
- Strong knowledge of agile development processes and current best practices
- Collaborative attitude and superb organisational skills, a problem-solving mindset and the ability to make strategic decisions – combined with the motivation to make an impact
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, fluent in English
- Experience with growth in organisations, scaling from start-up to enterprise
- Experience in delivering transformational projects and programmes of work, process and change management
- Hands-on experience with their current tech stack (Java, SpringBoot, AWS, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Jenkins, Docker, Angular, Microservice architecture, REST APIs)
- Experience working on subscription or high-volume transactional systems
- Experience refactoring legacy applications
What's there for you?
- With staff wellbeing at the forefront of their minds, offering their employees the opportunity to spend time with family and friends, focus on a long-fostered passion, or take up personal studies
- Flexible working hours
- Numerous training opportunities to nurture self-development
- 2 paid days off per year, during working hours to volunteer with a community organisation
Please note that our client can only consider applicants who do have a valid working VISA for the EU or the UK.