They are a technology-first company that runs a Global B2C platform, they have strong tech teams in place and require a very experienced people managers to lead one of their core units (currently 75 engineers --> will grow to 150+ in 18 months) being responsible for one of the most crucial parts of their global technical operation.
A Senior Director of Engineering level at our client is comparable in responsibility and salary to a StartUp CTO level elsewhere, many of their Directors are ex CTOs of StartUps. :)
The role of the incoming "Tribe CTO" Director of Engineering will be to play a key role in the development and growth of the company. You would be expected to actively contribute to the overall company Data Engineering strategy, especially by deciding on technical direction and developing scalability, data science, data analysis, data engineering and automation capability while retaining a focus on internal user experience, R&D and order channels. You would also be the day-to-day sparring partner of top leadership and be responsible for the development of an IT strategy matching the business goals. Your role would have a strong focus on optimising product and software development processes for this core unite.
This is a fundamental role to the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Lead, support and mentor Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to be more effective leaders.
- Drive for excellence when building global systems handling many Petabytes of data and billions of messages per day, used by thousands of people around the world.
- Deeply understand the data domain and participate in defining the roadmap for the company's data strategy - in close collaboration with your Product and Data Science peers
- Supervise organisational changes, support making a team of 75 engineers grow to 150+ during 12-18 months.
- Deeply understand the business processes and participate in defining the roadmap for core teams responsible for delivering data projects across the globe.
- Scale recruitment efforts and define the criteria for sourcing talented engineers
- Drive both quarterly and long-term objectives and key results with full responsibility for executing
- Champion best engineering practices
- Experience with managing managers or multiple teams simultaneously (min 30 engineers and 5 squads, ideally 75+ and 10+ squads)
- Strong software and data engineering background on cloud-based services and infrastructures.
- Strong design, data architecture skills.
- Academic and/or industry experience with machine learning or large-scale distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of service-oriented and microservices architectural patterns, troubleshooting methods and best practices.
- Proven track record of building data platforms and products with high performing engineering teams.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Actively writing coding is NOT your responsibility but you need to be able to review code.
- You worked on high complexity and/or high traffic project or application,
- Experience with setting up processes in an engineering team.