We have been retained by an exciting global engineering and manufacturing business (20,000 employees Worldwide, Top 5 Globally in their Industry) to help them find an experienced VP of Engineering to run their Global Digital & IoT Engineering Unit (150+ people distributed on 3 continents). Although the mother company is 50+ years old, their digital arm functions like a StartUp and as such they are constantly learning and developing.
This position combines in-depth Software (Cloud, AI, ML, analytics, etc.) and Hardware (IoT, heat and pressure sensors, monitoring, etc) knowledge with an acute business and design sense in order to make holistic, strategic, effective decisions that best maximise the team’s throughput both in the short and long term, within an environment of rapid growth and global IoT product evolution.
Reporting directly to the Global CTO this is a fundamental role to the continued success of the business and, as such, the incoming candidate will be able to make a significant and tangible impact on the company.
- Oversee the engineering execution of an ambitious product roadmap covering multiple IoT software and hardware products.
- Create growth and hiring plan to meet ambitious development goals (including building further nearshore or offshore development capacity)
- Be a thought-leader and mentor for the development teams, in order to drive a culture of positive thinking, constant learning, collaboration, and improvement. Formulate and execute creative, metric-based processes to measure and improve the organisation’s overall performance.
- Be a career coach for team members in order to maximize developer goals and grow individuals to their potential.
- Drive a strong engineering culture based on learning, optimism, teamwork, and career development.
MUST HAVE (please do not apply if you do not have the following experience):
- Lead at least an engineering organisation of 20 Engineers
- Have built a commercially viable IoT offering
- Have a global mindset and international experience
- You are happy to travel once it is safe again (Europe/Asia) and you are open to relocate if needed (example: building near-shore / offshore development office in Europe or Asia)
- 10+ years experience in software development (5 of which as a people manager), with expertise in large-scale, IoT platforms that requires high performance, scalability, and redundancy.
- In-depth experience with Infrastructure-as-code, Stateless Services, Progressive Web Apps and continuous integration and delivery is required.
- Experienced with hosting and operating high performance systems including their infrastructure, service levels in cloud environments
- Past success with developing a successful and commercially viable IoT.
- Experience in AI/ML & Data statistics and analytics
- Experience in Hardware companies is a big advantage
- Experience in delivering IoT connected mobile applications on both iOS and Android platforms.
- Exhibit past success with growing, mentoring, and harnessing the talent of a highly skilled globally distributed engineering team.
- Combines in-depth technical aptitude, impeccable business judgment, and the ability to communicate effectively to various groups and teams within the organisation.
- Strong ability to understand and balance corporate goals, team goals, and individual goals in order to make appropriate engineering decisions.
- Strategic thinker with experience presenting solutions to senior-level audiences. A great attitude that enjoys working in a close, highly energised, team-oriented environment.
- Experience in working with various technical lead of cross-functional teams in a high-performance organisation
- Experience in agile development and lean product development.
Nice to have:
- In depth understanding or Education/Interest in Physics (especially fluid dynamics)